Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Buttons, Borders, and Bindings Oh My!

Well, I finally figured out how to put a button on this blog, which is quite an accomplishment if I do say so myself.  I didn't realize that you just needed to copy that long code into a "gadget" in your layout area.  Odd how simple that was and how long it took me to find it :)

I took my Christmas tree quilt with me to the group I go to and we thought that maybe an alternating border using the red/green/white fabric would work well and then use the striped fabric I had as the binding.  Mama Spark taught me what cutting on the bias is, and I tell you I got so excited about it, it was a little ridiculous.  I want to get the border done just so I can bind the thing now!  But first, that means I have to start the border.  I had every intention of doing it, but that cute top still plagues me.

From Thursday to Saturday I went on a work trip to Woodview, Ontario with a co-worker to attend the Ontario AFS (American Fisheries Society) Meeting.  This coworker of mine is a knitter and we planned to sit and knit/sew after the meetings ended for the day.  I really, really wanted to get the border done while we were here but our time back at the room was split up a lot by meals and talks.  Instead I finished the binding on my first project! 



It looks pretty good now that it doesn't have strings and needles poking out of it! 

Last night I went out to dinner with my parents and my mom brought along this monstrosity:


Apparently my uncle's grandchildren were "getting into the plant" and then gave it to my mom.  My mom doesn't have room for it so she thought that I would take it.  I didn't realize it was so large until I pulled it out of my trunk and tried to stuff it into my house.  Holy cow.  What am I going to do with it now?!  I was going to try to quarantine it just in case it wanted to bring anything in with it but my quarantine area seems to be a bit small (to the left is our door to the garage and this is our laundry room/entry closet).  Before I made dinner tonight I wanted to clean our kitchen sink and I literally crawled underneath this thing to get my supplies!  *sigh* Maybe someone somewhere will want it!

5 comments:

  1. Great job on your quilt Stacey....I didn't make it to quilting again....I think I have missed the last 3 weeks. I'm feeling under the weather.... I was bound to get it as Mr. QnQ is just getting over his cold....I'm from Ontario and I'm not sure where Woodview is....have a great week...(o:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I didn't either. I forgot all of my quilting stuff yesterday before I left for work. I hope you feel better soon! Hopefully I will see you there next week.

      Woodview is a tiny town about an hour NE of Peterborough. We were at a resort there on Stoney Lake.

      Delete
  2. Great job on your finish!! Hope to get that bias ruler to you. In all my excitement last night I just plain ole forgot, sorry = (
    You need borders first so I guess it's ok. Talk to you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog via Mama Spark's and even though I've been quilting and crafting for (OMG, I just added it up) over 40 years, my story is much the same as yours. I actually took a quilting class when I was just 18 years old. I've quilted off and on for many years, but thanks to discovering blogs a couple of years ago, I'm back to it whole-heartedly! PS - my hometown is originally Peterborough. Good luck on your new quilting journey - I hope you find it as much fun and rewarding as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mama Spark is lovely :) I hope to quilt for that long and I too have been sucked in by blog land. I really think that it keeps me going with all that eye-cady and tutorials out there!

      Delete

Your comments make my day!